Sunday, May 31, 2009

This is Wordy

So tonight I just realized that yesterday marked the one month anniversary of my return to Utah from my study abroad adventure in Spain. My initial excitement at being back in familiar territory has long since worn off and now I feel almost like I'm stuck in a rut. I'm laying in my bed right now thinking back on the past month and wondering what I've accomplished. The answer? Not a whole lot.

I got a mission call, got a job, and got a lot of tootsie rolls at Tim Abbott's birthday party tonight, but I can't help but miss the life I had in Spain. There was no shortage of excitement. One day I'd be in Sevilla watching flamenco, and the next I'd be in Valencia eating napolotinas and watching things burn. Now, I'm in Orem one day... and Orem the next.

It's getting harder and harder to simply hang out on weekends, especially as the male population of my group of friends go on their two-year-exodus' all over the world and leave me behind all summer. I think I need to find some new ways of diverting my attention that don't rely entirely on other people.

Hopefully I'll be able to live like my parents when I'm older. Since getting back from Spain, little more than a month ago, they have gone to Las Vegas, Arizona, Cancun, and are now BACK in Las Vegas. In the year 2009, they have been at home for MAYBE two weeks tops. They're like big Engergizer Bunnies.

I'm not saying all this to try and convince anyone that my life sucks. It's far from sucky. In fact, if anything sucks, it's me. It's not like there is actually a shortage of things to do, it's just that I don't DO any of them. I'm just so lazy that it's like I wait for pastimes to be laid, gift wrapped at my feet rather than make an effort to be productive.

Well, we'll see how things turn out, and if I can make it into the MTC on August 26th without having gone insane. I'll keep you posted.

And to end off on the right note, here is a blurry picture of me as Peter Pan.

4 comments:

Jessie said...

Wow. That's depressing. You pretty much just described my life, minus the orem part. Also, I just emailed you.

Julie Wilding said...

Cheers to the Peter Pan picture. Cheers!

Birrell Family said...

You're just in the awkward, sometimes lonely transition time before a mission, made worse of course by a fantastic trip that opened your eyes to this wonderful world of ours. How can Orem everyday compare? My family is here, so this is where my heart is. You are going to love your mission to Chile, it will be an adventure for sure. You can always come play with us. Josh Balmforth will also be back June 13... always good to increase the male population in our ward :)

MedSchoolWife said...

Heyyy! You have a blog!!! What? Why am I just finding out about this now? I'm so adding you to my blog list. You betta believe it.

And I totally feel you. I miss Europe. I really, really, really miss Europe.